Enjoy the “Best Seat in the House” at This Year’s Fall Convention
(With apologies to Jeff Foxworthy)
- If you’ve ever wondered about why a quartet or chorus made or didn’t make the Top Five at District Contest….you might be a candidate for the Best Seat in the House!
- If you’ve ever thought about how a judging panel scores a contest or what a quartet or chorus sounds like from the judging pit….you might be a candidate for the Best Seat in the House!
- If you’ve ever thought that judging a contest looks interesting but weren’t sure about what was involved….you might be a candidate for the Best Seat in the House!
- And finally, if you’ve wanted to get a “judges’-eye view” without having to go through the whole application, screening, and training process….you might be a candidate for the Best Seat in the House!
As a way to open the doors of the judging community to a wider audience and to generate increased interest in the BHS Judging program, the Central States District, in conjunction with Harmony Foundation International, is auctioning off a seat in the judging area (aka 'the pit') for each contest session and post-contest evaluations. The process is simple: anyone who is interested (BSITH is open to barbershoppers, spouses, Significant Others, pretty much anyone) enter their bids for one or multiple contest sessions via the Best Seat in the House (BSITH) website (http://www.bestseat.org). Winning bidders are notified once bidding ends for a particular district’s convention (for CSD, that will be sometime after October 2nd). The money from your winning bid goes to Harmony Foundation International and is used to resource the Foundation’s mission to support and share the gift of singing. Your participation in the BSITH promotion is a great way to help Harmony Foundation International further its outreach and education endeavors and have an enjoyable learning experience at the same time.
If you submit the winning BSITH bid for one or more contest sessions, you receive the following:
• A reserved seat in the judging area;
• A name tag identifying you as a BSITH Guest Judge for the Fall Contest;
• A full set of judging scoresheets for your selected category;
• A Post-contest feedback chart that shows where your scores stacked up against those of a fully trained and Society-certified judging panel sent to you after the convention;
• Access to the Judges’ Green Room, including all meal(s) and break(s) associated with your contest session(s) (spouses/SOs may attend the Saturday night dinner at their expense);
• Opportunity to attend all post-contest evaluations with competing quartets and choruses;
• The opportunity to interact with, learn from, and be mentored by members of the judging panel for your category.
The BSITH Web address is: http://www.bestseat.org/. Log in or create an account, then select the link bar for the 2014 CSD Fall Convention to submit your bid(s). Minimum opening bid is $50, with raises in $5 increments. You may bid on more than one contest session if desired. Still not sure? Then take a look at Lunch Break Bari KJ McAleesejergins’ video about BSITH. If that doesn’t sell you, please read Andrew Kvasnica’s comments about his BSITH experience from the Spring 2013 Convention. Happy bidding!
BSITH Manager, CSD Fall 2014 Convention
SOCIETY MIDWINTER AND
January 6 - January 11: Midwinter Convention
New Orleans, LA
June 28 - July 05: Pittsburgh International Convention
July 3 - July 10: Nashville International Convention
July 2 - July 9: Minneapolis International Convention
July 1 - July 8: Orlando International Convention
June 30 - July 7: Salt Lake City International Convention
Salt Lake City, UT
CENTRAL STATES DISTRICT CONVENTIONS
May 1-3: Overland Park, KS
October 9-11: Overland Park Convention Center
Overland Park, KS
April 22-24: Kearney submitted bid; Evaluation in progress.
October 7-9: Multiple bids and inquiries. Possibly returning to Cedar Rapids or Des Moines.
Cedar Rapids, IA/Des Moines, IA/??
October 13-15: St. Charles considering bid.
St. Charles, MO
November 7 & 8: Missouri Western State University
St. Joseph, MO
January 23 &24: HEP School